Don't We Live the Life

Sunday, January 21, 2007

we scratch our eternal itch, a twentieth centruy bitch

So....

My calm feeling and happiness with this semester at school lasted for a shorter time than I had predicted. I am officially no longer graduating in May.

I'm only taking 3 classes this semester and then I will hopefully pick up the other 2 credits I need in the early summer session.

Also, I'm no longer going to have a double major in English. I hate English. And if I didn't speak it, I would never want to have anything to do with it whatsoever anymore.

Essentially, my emphasis on history over english for the past 3 and a half years ended up putting me in an extreme disadvantage when it came down to fourth year seminars. It's not often that I feel stupid for extended periods of time when reading things or discussing things in class. Obviously, this is not a feeling that I enjoy as I know that I'm not stupid. Annnyway to make a big long sob story short, I just don't have the background reading and interprative skills to deal with being in an intense english setting.

Also, my intense urge to scream things like, "are you fucking kidding me?" and "fuck off, it doesn't have a hidden meaning" and the likes alerted me to the fact that I would much rather just read books for the sake of enjoying reading rather than have to deconstruct everything to the point of absurdity.

I'm pretty sure queer theory didn't exist in the 18th century, and I'm pretty sure neither did feminst discourse. Fuck off. It's a story. Not an allegory for the modern condition of life etc etc.

Phew.

Anyway... the support of this decision has been pretty clutch and I no longer feel like I have a bag of rocks on my shoulders at all times. I actually felt 100lbs lighter when I web dropped my classes.

In short, this is a good thing. A minor setback, but a good thing.

My university time has been anything but a smooth ride, so why should my final year be any different?

And so, in celebration (i guess?) of my new found freedom from the chains of a thousand stupid words in 20 stupid books I went on a bender this weekend and had a really great time.

I started Wednesday and finished on Saturday and I had a really fucking good time.

Me and Kate bought tickets for the Canadian figure skating championships this weekend, so from Thursday-Saturday I spent aprox. 7 hours a day in an arena watching skating and drinking beer.

Thursday night we discovered that it was possible to watch skating, and drink reasonably priced draft all at the same time and so by the time we left the Metre Centre to go for a late dinner we were pretty intoxicated, although that lack of ability for clear judgement caused us much agony, I believe everything will be all right in the end.

Friday was more skating, and then getting all fancied up and attending a James Bond themed party where we got kicked out in the most intense fashion I have ever experienced. I'm talking more intense then in high school when the cops would crash a party and come into the house looking for underage drinkers. Annnyway... long story short, it turned into a really good night, of which I only have a vague and somewhat disjointed recollection of.

Saturday sucked. I don't remember the last time I was that hung over, and I actually had the shakes until I managed to consume a Caeser.. then I felt better....

Anyway wicked weekend... I am super looking forward to school now. 3 history classes, class 2 days a week... Rock on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home